Two of the most comforting dishes to me are Pho, a vietnamese beef or chicken rice noodle soup and just plain old beef stew with potatoes and carrots. So I saw a recipe called vietnamese beef stew and became inspired combine these two comfort dishes together. So you have the beef stew with potatoes and carrots, but in an amazing aromatic vietnamese broth infused with an array of spices just like in the Pho dish.
2 Tbsp grapeseed oil
1 pound of beef stewing cubes
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
1 onion diced
1/4 cup red wine
1-2 green or red finger chilies
1 bay leaf
2 kaffir lime leaves
2 star anise
1 stalk lemongrass bruised with knife
2 garlic cloves minced
2 cardamom pods
1 small cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp of freshly grated ginger
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp fish sauce
1 tbsp sugar/honey
2 tomatoes diced
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 carrots diced
2 cups chicken stock
4 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tsp water (cornstarch slurry)
1/4 cup cilantro
1 tsp lime zest
salt and pepper if needed
1. Season beef with the salt, pepper, Chinese five spice, adobo seasoning if using and the ground coriander.
2. In a pot, heat oil on medium high heat. Add beef cubes. Brown on both sides. Remove from pot in a bowl and set aside.
3. In the same pot heat 1 tbsp of oil on meduim heat. Add the onion. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add the red wine to deglaze bottom of the pan, scraping with wooden spoon until wine is absorbed.
4. Add the chilies, bay leaf, kaffir lime leaves, star anise, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, tomatoes, tomato paste and salt. Stir to coat. 1 min
5. Add back in the beef along with the carrots and stock. Bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover and simmer for about 45 min-1 hour, until beef is almost tender.
6. Add the potatoes and cornstarch slurry. Cook for another 15-20 min, until potato is tender and beef is to your liking.
7. When done, stir in chopped cilantro and lime zest. Season with salt and pepper if needed.