1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 onion, sliced
1 carrot, diced
1 potato, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
5 cups chicken stock
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
Cilantro for garnish
**A note about the vegan option down below the photo
- In pot, melt butter and oil.
- Add the onion and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrot and potato, stir.
- Add the garlic, bay leaf, smoked paprika, turmeric, cumin, coriander and salt and pepper.
- Stir until everything is well coated with the spices.
- Add the lentils and stir everything together. Add the stock.
- Stir, then bring to a boil. Lower heat, and simmer for around 15-20 min, or until carrot and potato are tender.
- Remove bay leaf. Add 2 tbsp lemon juice.
- Puree most of the soup with a hand blender, so there is still some texture left. Garnish with cilantro and a dollop of yogurt if desired. Enjoy!