I love making chili! It’s not only a comforting dish, but it’s such an easy crowd pleaser! If you want less chili, just simply half the recipe.
2 pounds ground beef
2 onions, chopped
2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
2 small bay leaves
1 large cinnamon stick
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp each of chili powder, cumin and oregano
2 tsp coriander
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp plus 2 tsp sea salt or to taste
1/2 tsp pepper
4 celery stalks, diced
2 carrots, halved lengthwise and chopped
2 small green or red bell peppers, diced
2 28oz/796ml cans whole tomatoes, broken up, or diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken stock
2 19oz cans red kidney beans
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Toppings-shredded cheddar, avocado tossed in lime juice, sour cream, and more chopped fresh cilantro
- In large pot, brown beef on high heat until no longer pink.
- Add onions, chipotle peppers, bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Stir for about a minute.
- Add garlic, brown sugar, cocoa powder and all the spices. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes until beef is coated well with the spices.
- Add the celery and carrots. Stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add the bell peppers. Stir until well combined.1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the chicken stock. Stir well. Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans and simmer for another 5 minutes or so.
- Turn off heat. Stir in the cilantro. Serve with toppings of your choice. Enjoy!