This dish is a cross between Congee and bibimbap! Two of my favourite dishes, why not combine them? 🙂
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 pound ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 celery, diced
1 cup finely diced button mushrooms
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp fresh minced ginger
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp gochuchang (Korean red pepper paste)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp peper
1/3 cup chopped kimchi
1 cup rinsed jasmine rice
6 cups water
2 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp more of sesame oil
2 cups fresh spinach leaves
Toasted sesame seeds
- In a large pot, heat oil. Add ground beef and brown.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery, cook for a couple of minutes until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and sauce for a couple of minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, sugar, gochuchang, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Cook for another 1 minutes until well combined.
- Stir in the kimchi and rice. Stir until well coated.
- Add the water, stock, and fish sauce. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until thickened and rice is done.
- Add the sesame oil and spinach. Cook for another 5 minutes or so. Garnish with sesame seeds if desired. This porridge gets thicker as it sits. Enjoy!