2 pounds ground beef
2 small onions, chopped
2 small bay leaves
1/4 tsp chili flakes
2 tsp sugar
4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp each of dried basil, oregano and Italian seasoning
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 cup red wine
2 jars passata (46oz)
1/2-1 cup water to clean out passata jars
1 parmesan rind
1/4-1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large pan on med-high heat, add ground beef, breaking up, until almost browned.
- Add the onions, bay leaves, and chili flakes, and cook for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, salt, pepper, spices and garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and mix well.
- Add the red wine and stir until almost all of it is absorbed.
- Add the tomato puree, the water, and the parmesan rind. Bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover and simmer for around 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the parmesan rind and bay leaves.
- Add the freshly grated parmesan cheese. Serve over pasta. Enjoy!