I also use my homemade pumpkin pie spice recipe-https://www.iftheovenmittfits.com/2018/09/30/homemade-pumpkin-pie-spice/
2 cups pure pumpkin puree
1 egg white (reserve yolk to mix with 1 tbsp milk or cream, and brush on crust, and crust cut outs for the top)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp homemade pumpkin pie spice, recipe here-https://www.iftheovenmittfits.com/2018/09/30/homemade-pumpkin-pie-spice/
1 tbsp molasses
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Homemade Maple Whipped Cream
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Line pie plate with rolled out pie crust. Trim, and crimp edges. Chill.
- In a medium bowl, add pumpkin puree, eggs and egg white. Whisk. With the leftover yolk, mix with 1 tbsp cream or milk and whisk. Set aside.
- Add cream and whisk. Add maple syrup, brown sugar, flour, spices, molasses and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- Take lined pie plate out of the fridge. Brush the whole crust with the reserved yolk/milk mixture.
- Pour the filling in. Put pie plate on baking sheet and place in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350, and bake for around 40 more minutes, until there is a slight jiggle in the middle of the pie when you gently shake it.
- Cool to room temperature.
- While pie is cooling, take some of the other half of the pie crust dough, cut out decorations and place on baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Brush cut outs with egg yolk/milk mixture, and sprinkle with course sugar. Bake at 425 for around 12-15 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Place the cutouts on top of the pie, however you like.
- Wrap pie in plastic wrap well, and chill for a few hours, or better, overnight.
- To serve, cut into slices, and serve with the homemade maple whipped cream on top! Enjoy!
For maple whipped cream:
- Place cream, maple syrup and vanilla in a bowl. Whisk, using an electric mixer, until stiff peaks form. Serve a dollop on top of each slice of pie! Enjoy!